Tuesday 27 November 2012

Thing 15

Attending events

I've attended several events through JISC though recently they have been more online events than face to face events. I have attended some events relating to new online resources which have been free events run by JISC and include a very nice lunch! The last couple of times I have realised that I know people from other colleges as I have either studied with them, they have also attended similar events in the past or I've visited their college as part of staff development. This is quite nice as it instantly gives you something to break the ice! I think often people go on their own to events like these4 and it can be awkward to begin with as nobody knows anyone but as we all have something in common - libraries or similar places of work then you know you can't go wrong with asking a few questions about where they work and you usually find some common ground. I like the face to face events though they are trickier to get to as I'm part time and we do have less staff working in the library than a few years ago due to people reducing their hours, mysefl included! The Umbrella Conference always looks interesting but haven't got to that yet so maybe that should be something I could attend next time it comes round. I haven't ever held any events, perhaps this is something to think about for the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment